Friday 15 January 2010

Ask Yara


Work in Progress is a collaborative project that has been executed by the Inivators alongside artist Yara El Sherbini. The Inivators thought it would be good to sit down with Yara and ask her a few questions about her work, practice and thoughts on the projects core topic.
Here’s what Yara had to say.

Q) What themes do you like to explore in your work?
A) The themes I explore in my work are quite diverse, as are my modes of production. I'm passionate about creating playful works which probe knowledge, questioning how we know what we know. The aim is to facilitate debate and dialogue around politically contentious and socially driven ideas; as wide reaching as ethics to relational aesthetics, propaganda to climate change, culture and identity, to the role and function of the artist, at all times questioning what art is, can be and who it involves.

Q) What current pieces are you working on/exhibiting?
A) I'm currently touring my game show 'Universality Challenge' a one hour live art work which asks questions such as 'Does the film Free Willy explore free will?'
I’m currently working towards an exhibition in March, where I'll be exhibiting an installation titled 'Critical Mass' , and hosting A Pub Quiz as well as presenting a new piece of work titled 'A Rather Trivial Pursuit'. I'll be hosting an after dinner board game event, where people can actively participate in the work.

Q)Do you think there is still a major problem regarding diversity in the visual arts?
A) I wouldn't say a major problem, but yes, I think there are still problems. One of my questions touches on an underlying problem:
Q: What is the opposite of ideal?
A: Real.

It would be wonderful if all the issues, which were so relevant in the 1980's had disappeared. They have shifted, but they are still there, from the language institutions use, to the way exhibitions are selected, I think we still need to realise that the real is often different from the ideal.

Q) What do you think about the role of collaboration in art projects.
A) I think collaboration offers a vital space to explore and develop ideas with an open mind and a multitude of opinions. You become open to compromise and moments of genius when you are working with other people. I have loved this aspect of the project.

Q) What have you enjoyed the most about working on the project
A) I have loved it all, it's been a wonderful experience getting to know so many creative talents and being part of the process of making work directly in response to the themes of Progress Report. Working in response to this theme has allowed us all to question, pull apart and respond to the issues.

Q) If you could sum the project up in one word what would that word be?
A) Fun

Q) You use a lot of humour to explore quite difficult subject matter, how do you think humour can be used to challenge perceptions?

A) I use humour as a sugar coating, to lighten up issues that can otherwise appear didactic. I'd like to think humour can challenge perceptions in the way it can say things that would otherwise be politically incorrect, or not even discussed. I'm interested in this tension, which can allow people to question their own assumptions and hopefully interrupt ways of seeing.

Q) You’ve previously used stand up comedy in your artistic practice, could you give us your favourite one liner?
A) A veiled women was arrested as a threat to national security.
She claimed she was working undercover.

No comments:

Post a Comment